Monday, November 16, 2015

Another Busy Week:  November 16, 2015

Hey everyone! Hope you all are doing great!:) It's been quite the week over here in Denmark! Pretty busy! A lot of you probably have heard about the terrorist attack in Paris the other day. Pretty scary, really sad. It's crazy to think all that happened only 600 miles away from where I am! It has caused quite the scare in surrounding countries. With the attack being from Syrian Immigrants it has put a lot of people on edge. Denmark has been flooded with Immigrants\refugees and everyday we get more and more. The mission Pres. sent a message out to all the missionaries the following day saying to avoid big crowds of people and while in big cities, avoid wearing your name tags in transit. It has made people pretty paranoid here because we have sooo many refugees here!  I talk to like 10 a each day!  But don't worry, God protects his missionaries and everything will be ok:)  It is really sad to think about all that kind of stuff that goes on in the world today. It brings me a lot of comfort to think that I have the gospel in my life and how that affects everyone in the world today!

Monday was a pretty fun day! After I had emailed everyone back home, I did my grocery shopping (stocking up on the Danish brand of ramen noodles), then cruised down the gågade (Danish shopping area) where I found myself a really nice coat! FjÄll RÄven is a Swedish brand and is basically what everyone over in this part of the world wears. It's great cause the temperatures are getting lower and lower everyday! Lots of rain and lots of wind! Lately it has averaged 7 degrees Celsius (roughly 40 F) and it's only going to get colder! That night though we visited with Tommy (The Olympic swimmer from Canada) He seems really open to the gospel! We asked if we could set up an appointment sometime and he said, "Yeah of course! I'd love to go grab a beer with you guys or something!" haha we will probably hold off on the Word of Wisdom talk for a bit;)

Denmark is full of crazy art scattered throughout the cities and on Tuesday, while Ældste Jensen and I were out contacting, we found like this crazy little goat petting zoo at some park hidden by all these trees. It was really weird and extremely random, but hey that's Denmark for yah!

On Wednesday we had a zone training on Slægtsforskning (Family history) up in Fredericia. So we hopped on a train bright and early and headed on up there! The training didn't officially start till the next day so we went on splits with the Zone leaders. Me and Ældste Brady did service at the bishops house helping him build a deck! It was pretty fun and he is a great guy so I loved talking with him. Most of my conversations are in "Danglish" (Danish and English) but I am slowly getting better at the language! It's funny cause sometimes Danes will tell me to say a certain phrase that is really hard for Americans and I always tell them to say "Darth Vader likes refrigerated vegetables" haha they can't do it! It is honestly impossible for a Dane to say that haha!

The next day at training I got my B-Day package that was sent to the mission home! That made me so happy:) Thank you so much for all that you sent me!  As you can see from my pictures, we had a great time with all that stuff:) Training was great and I absolutely loved meeting all the missionaries in my zone (which is all of southern Jylland)  There are roughly 26 missionaries in my zone. A huge focus that all the Danish missionaries are starting to adapt to is Family History! We have training again in a couple weeks that will certify us as "Family history consultants" So on top of being a missionary, I'll be one of those too! We believe this is going to open so many doors and create so many opportunities to teach. This is a free service we are doing and if people don't want to talk about religion at all that is completely fine, we still will gladly help them do their family history!

I had a great experience teaching Andrej the other day. He was that one Dane I was telling you guys about that speaks English like he is American! He is extremely friendly and loves talking with us, but he only wanted to talk about the church for "factual information" He was calling our meetings with him "Culture Exchanges" He loves to hear what we have to say, but he always told us it would be a while before he decides to have religion as a part of his life. Well our last lesson with him was really special. He told us how he had been reading a pretty good amount in the Book of Mormon. We discussed the story of the Tree of Life with him and he seemed extremely understanding. He told us that life has been really hard for him. He is deep in debt and finds out today whether or not he is expelled from school. He said a lot of this was causing him stress when he looked over and saw the Book of Mormon sitting there on his desk. He decided to read a bit and pray for help. He told us it brought him a lot of peace and has changed his outlook on having a relationship with God for the better. This is the most progress we have had with him! I was so excited when he told us that! I pray for him everyday and hope that he will continue to see more and more of God's light in his life.

This week was pretty great! I'm excited for this upcoming week cause I'll be spending it in Copenhagen for my one month meeting with my MTC group! You'll hear all about that next week! I want all of you to know how much I love and miss you, know that all of you are in my prayers. My testimony grows everyday and the joy the gospel brings is amazing! Talk to you all soon!! Hav en rigitig god uge! Vi ses på Mandag!!

Ældste Weese










1 comment:

  1. Elder Parker W,
    so neat to hear about your experiences. I am so grateful for the time I've had to be in Danmark and meeting those wonderful people! You will love them more and more. They are kind and polite and they really do need the Gospel though many don't know it yet!!! It was neat to hear the story about the Book of Mormon. I'm thinking you may have a great contact there!
    Pray for all you missionaries every day!

    ReplyDelete